The Power of a Student-led Conference

Term 2 is arguably one of the busiest terms of the year for a teacher. With data updates, reports and parent meetings, on top of the everyday workload, teachers (especially this one!) can get stressed, overwhelmed and exhausted quite quickly. However, in amongst all of this comes one of my favourite parts of the year: Student-led Conferences. 

At St Luke’s we don’t have parent teacher meetings we have student-led conferences. The process for preparing students for student-led conferences is year round. We do this through the constant integration of our 6 pillars into every aspect of learning. In each part of our day, students can be found reflecting on their learning, identifying strengths, and naming their next steps for themselves as a learner. In Stage 1, prior to the student led conference,  students identify two pillars that they think are their strengths and one weakness. They also have to justify why using our smiley face scale. 

In the words of our students…

1. The straight face means I can’t do it yet and I need lots of help
  2. The thinking face means that I can do it some of the time but I still need a bit of help
  3. The smiley face means that I can do it by myself 
  4. The sunglasses face means that I am an expert and I can teach others. 

Working alongside teachers, students choose a piece of work that showcases their strengths. Students also chose a weakness, identifying something that they need to work on. 

Some would say that this is an impossible feat for six and seven year olds but the ability these students display each year continues to blow me away. The feelings of joy and pride that I feel in my heart for every single one of my students during these conferences is met and felt (probably tenfold!) by the looks and comments of the parents in awe of their children. This term, one of the exciting things for me, was to sit in with a couple of students who I have taught since the beginning of last year. To be able to see the huge growth in confidence and ability to communicate their learning since last year was incredible. I would be confident in saying that some of my stage 1 students are more reflective and honest about their capabilities then some adults I know. 

Considering how well they have done now in Stage 1, it blows my mind to even begin to think about what they will be able to do in Stage 6 (Year  11&12). My dream is that they will continue to develop their ability to know themselves as a learner, being just as proud to showcase their strengths and what they can do well but also continue to be reflective and honest in what they can continue to work on as a lifelong learner.