Team Medley

Each year since commencing at St Luke’s my final blog of the year has had a theme around water. St Luke’s has always had a focus of ‘into the deep’ inspired by St Luke’s Gospel (5:4) where Jesus encourages us to go into unknown waters; “Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.” As a staff we are encouraged to move away from our comfort zones as we step out into the deep waters of teaching. In 2018, my first year at St Luke’s, I reflected that my year was all about keeping my head above water. Last year in 2019, I felt as though I was learning how to swim. This year, to continue the metaphor, I feel like I was a part of a team medley. I have learnt how to swim and now I am using my skills as part of a team to help others, but more importantly to be able to rely on others. 

With everything that has happened this year my key takeaway has been to allow myself to rely on others. I have always enjoyed team teaching and working with other teachers on a stage, but this year it became more prominent than ever that I can’t do it on my own, nor should I try to. As teachers we push ourselves beyond our limits everyday for our students. But this often results in unrealistic expectations on ourselves. I think this year with everything that has happened these unrealistic expectations escalated. With the realisation that I have a team of supportive, talented teachers around me, it has been easier to ease those expectations a bit and not feel as guilty about relying on others to get us across the finish line. 

Just like a team medley, everyone on the team has specific skills that they are good at and are relied upon to do well for the team. I was blessed this year to teach with one of the most organised teachers I have ever met! I thought I was fairly well organised until I met Kelly. This year I have learned to rely on this strength of Kelly’s (and many others!) and it has helped swimming the medley a lot easier. After teaching on Stage 1 for 2 years prior to this and Kelly being new to the stage, I also (hopefully!) feel like I was able to pass on some of my strengths and knowledge to Kelly. I did my leg of the medley. 

I have learnt a lot from learning to be a part of a team medley this year. Being a lifelong learner I look forward to all the skills I am going to learn next year and perhaps see where I go next with my water metaphor…